Four Year Degree Programme 2022 to allow students to opt for Ph.D. directly without PG courses; Check complete info here!
Four year degree programme 2022 will allow students to have the flexible academic curriculum. The students can opt for 3-year or 4-year course studies.
Four Year Degree Programme 2022: As per a recent interview given to the PTI, the UGC Chairman, Mamidala Jagadesh Kumar has clearly given free hands to students to choose their Doctorate of Philosophy (PhD) studies directly after the Four Year Degree Programme (FYDP) in 2022. As many things regarding National Education Policy (NEP) cannot be implemented without prior discussion, the option of FYDP has been opted for by Delhi University.
The Four Year Degree Programme 2022 is completely optional for the Universities to opt for. They may go on the regular 3-year curriculum basis or 4-year curriculum basis. The 4-year curriculum will completely contain various internships and skill enhancement courses.
Also Read: KVS Recruitment 2022, exceeding 13K Vacancies, teaching and non-teaching staff, full details
Four Year Degree Programme 2022: A way forward for higher education!
The UGC Chairman was outlining some of the benefits of the Four Year Degree Programme 2022 in higher education when he said “The first advantage is that the students do not have to do a Master’s degree to join a PhD programme. They can also take a single or double major to gain a deeper knowledge of a given discipline.”
“Since multidisciplinary courses, ability enhancement courses, skill enhancement courses, value-added courses, and internships are embedded in the FYUP, it will enhance the opportunities for students to take up employment or go for higher studies,” he said.
In the recent notification regarding the enactment of NEP 2020, there was an official notice that there was a revision of the Choice-Based Credit System (CBCS). The four year degree programme 2022 will be awarded to those who complete the degree programmes with 160 credits and have satisfied the credit requirements.
Students who secure 75% marks and above in the first six semesters and wish to undertake research at the undergraduate level can choose a research stream in the fourth year. They should do a research project or dissertation under the guidance of a faculty member of the University/ College. The research project/ dissertation will be in the major discipline. The students who secure 160 credits, including 12 credits from a research project/ dissertation, are awarded UG Degree (Honours with Research).
Flexibility in the academic curriculum is available
The four year degree programme 2022 will also give the students a chance to opt for various programmes. He added “The student with multiple entries and exit options, flexible degree options with single major, double major, multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary education, integration with vocational courses, internship, skill and ability enhancement courses.”
UG Degree Programmes with Single Major:
- A student has to secure a minimum of 50% credits from the major discipline for the 3-year/ 4-year UG degree to be awarded a single major. For example, in a 3-year UG programme, if the total number of credits to be earned is 120, a student of Physics with a minimum of 60 credits will be awarded a B.Sc. in Physics with a single major.
- Similarly, in a 4-year UG programme, if the total number of credits to be earned is 160, a student of Physics with a minimum of 80 credits will be awarded a B.Sc. (Hons./ Hon. With Research) in Physics in a 4-year UG programme with single major.
UG Degree Programmes with Double Major:
- A student has to secure a minimum of 40% credits from the second major discipline for the 3-year/ 4-year UG degree to be awarded a double major. For example, in a 3-year UG programme, if the total number of credits to be earned is 120, and a student of Physics with a minimum of 48 credits will be awarded a B.Sc. in Physics with a double major.
- Similarly, in a 4-year UG programme, if the total number of credits to be earned is 160, a student of Physics with a minimum of 64 credits will be awarded a B.Sc. (Hons./ Hon. With Research) in Physics in a 4-year UG programme with a double major.
Interdisciplinary UG Programmes:
- The credits for core courses shall be distributed among the constituent disciplines/ subjects so as to get core competence in the interdisciplinary programme. For example, a degree in Econometrics requires courses in economics, statistics, and mathematics. The total credits to core courses shall be distributed so that the student gets full competence in Econometrics upon completion of the programme.
- The degree for such students will be awarded as B.Sc. in Econometrics for a 3-year UG programme or B.Sc. (Honours) / B.Sc. (Honours with Research) in Econometrics for a 4-year UG programme.
Multidisciplinary UG Programmes:
- In the case of students pursuing a multidisciplinary programme of study, the credits to core courses will be distributed among the broad disciplines such as Life sciences, Physical Sciences, Mathematical and Computer Sciences, Data Analysis, Social Sciences, and Humanities, etc., For example, a student who opts for a UG program in Life sciences will have the total credits to core courses distributed across Botany, Zoology and Human biology disciplines.
- The degree will be awarded as B.Sc. in Life Sciences for a 3-year programme and B.Sc. (Honours) in Life Sciences or B.Sc. (Honours with Research) for a 4-year programme without or with a research component respectively.
Direct PhD courses after four year graduation programme 2022
The students can also opt for research studies directly after four year graduation programme 2022 without completing their post-graduation. The universities opting for such options will have these academic facilities in upcoming future. As there is a provision for carrying out the four-year UG courses with dissertations, this may help to ensure seats in research (PhD) and higher studies.
For more educational news, click here.