Gauhati University has opened the application portal for accepting forms for admission into postgraduate courses in the university and its affiliated colleges. The application portal for Gauhati University PG Admissions 2022 is open from the 20th of June, and candidates will have time up to the 5th of July to apply for the same.
This year, Gauhati University will conduct the postgraduate entrance test from the 19th to the 21st of July. And any student can opt for appearing in the entrance examination for a maximum of three subjects (one traditional and two interdisciplinary).
Table of Contents
Gauhati University is offering 22 courses in Arts (Humanities), 10 in the Science section, 7 in the Technology section, 2 in the Commerce section, and 1 in Law. Here is the detailed list of courses along with the number of seats available for each of the programmes.
(A) Courses in ARTS (Humanities) stream
|COMMUNICATION & JOURNALISM||M.A.||36|
|ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEACHING||M.A.||25|
|LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCE||M.LISc||30|
|MODERN INDIAN LANGUAGE & LITERARY STUDIES||M.A.||20|
(B) Courses in Science stream
|BOTANY||M.Sc. in Botany and M.Sc in Microbiology||40 + 10|
|PHYSICS||M.Sc. in Physics and M.Sc. in Radiological Science||50+10|
|ZOOLOGY||M.Sc. in Zoology and M.Sc. in Wildlife Sciences||44+15|
(C) Courses in Technology
|COMPUTER SCIENCE||M.Sc. in Computer Science and M.Sc. in Informational Technology||23+10|
|ELECTRONICS AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY||M.Sc. in Electronics and Communication Technology and M.Sc. in Micro Electronics and Advanced Communication||20+12|
|INSTRUMENTATION AND USIC||M.Sc.||20|
|ELECTRONICS AND COMMUNICATION ENGINEERING||M.Tech in Signal Processing and Communication and M.Tech. in Signal Processing and VLSI||18+18|
|APPLIED SCIENCE||M.Tech in Material Science and Technology||18|
(D) Courses in Commerce & Management Fields
(E) Courses in Law
Under the Law courses, there lies a single department of the Law that provides L.L.M. It has an intake capacity of 40 students.
(F) Courses in Affiliated Colleges/ Institutions
Along with the above-mentioned courses in Gauhati University Campus, there are seats available in 50 affiliated colleges/ institutes for various postgraduate courses. Interested candidates can check the detailed list of courses available in affiliated colleges/ institutes and their intake capacity in the prospectus or information brochure of Gauhati University PG Admissions 2022.
Who can apply?
- For the students who are passing out this year under the new CBCS course, there is NO requirement of Honours / Major course for Gauhati University PG Admissions 2022 in any subject. All you need is a minimum credit of 24 in the concerned subject (for traditional subjects) to be eligible to seek admission.
- For students who passed out from non-CBCS courses, they should have completed BA/ B.Sc/ B.Com (in 10+2+3 pattern) with Major/ honours courses in the concerned subject or BA/ B.Sc/ B.Com (in 10+2+3 pattern) with a general pass course with at least 45% Marks in the concerned subject as well as in aggregate or equivalent CGPA. The 45% mark is to be calculated on the basis of marks obtained in Part I and Part II of the (2+1) pattern and the part I, part II, and Part III of the (1+1+1) pattern are eligible to seek admission to the university.
- An applicant who has completed a post-graduate course from GU on an earlier occasion or got admitted into a postgraduate course of GU, whether completed or not, is eligible for freshly applying to Gauhati University PG Admissions 2022.
- Also, certain specific eligibility criteria have been fixed by the concerned departments. So, candidates are requested to check the eligibility criteria for the courses beforehand in the Admission portal.
Gauhati University PG Admissions 2022: Steps to apply
Before applying for Gauhati University PG Admissions 2022, all the candidates need to create a Unique Id from the website of the Department of Higher Education (DHE), Assam. Candidates will need to enter their Unique IDs while filling the application forms. Once done, candidates need to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Visit the official website- admissions.gauhati.ac.in
- Click the ‘Apply Now’ option from the top menu
- Scroll down and click on the link given for applying
- You will be redirected to the Admission Portal, where you will need to select ‘PG Admissions Form’
- Enter all the details as asked, that is – your personal information, address info, academic details, etc.
- Next, upload the required documents, your image, and signature
- Then choose the courses, you wish to apply for and proceed
- Lastly, pay the application fees and submit your form for Gauhati University PG Admissions 2022
- Please download a copy of your application form and the payment receipt for future references
- While registering for Gauhati University PG Admissions 2022, candidates need to pay the Application Fee of Rs 400.
- Also, candidates need to pay Postgraduate Entrance Test (PGET) fee for each subject they are applying for, which is Rs 400 per subject.
- Hence, if any candidate applies for more than one subject, the total fee will increase by Rs 400 per subject.
- The registration fee is non-refundable. So, candidates are requested to check the eligibility criteria for the courses beforehand in the portal for Gauhati University PG Admissions 2022.
Selection Procedure: GUPGET 2022
The merit list for Gauhati University PG Admissions 2022 will be fully based on the candidates’ performance in the entrance examination, i.e GUPGET 2022. The GUPGET 2022 will be conducted from the 19th to the 21st of July, 2022. The examination will have 100 multiple-choice questions (MCQ), and candidates will get 2 hours of time to complete it. For each correct answer, 1 mark will be awarded while for each wrong answer 0.25 mark will be deducted.
Gauhati University also offers a 50% reservation of seats in traditional subjects for GU students and the remaining 50% of seats are open for all students including students from GU. Interestingly, this special reservation for the GU students was 80% in previous years, but it is reduced by 30% this time. Also, note that there is no such reservation in interdisciplinary subjects and seats are open to all students.
Gauhati University will completely follow the reservation structure laid out by the government for candidates belonging to SC/ ST/ OBC/ EWS/ PwD categories. And eligible students can also apply for Gauhati University PG Admissions 2022 under various other quotas for co-curricular activities/ NSS/ NCC/ Fringe Village category/ Ex-Servicemen category/ GU Employee category/ Ex-GU employee category, according to their matching criteria under different branches.
These are important dates regarding Gauhati University PG Admissions 2022:
|Opening of Admission portal||20th June 2022|
|Last date for submitting application forms||5th July 2022|
|Issue of Admit Cards||15th July 2022|
|Date of Entrance Examination for Gauhati University PG Admissions 2022||19-21st July 2022|
|Date of publishing the rank list||29-30th July 2022|
|Date of Admission||3-4th August 2022|
|Commencement of Classes||8th August 2022|
For more Education news, click here.