The University Grants Commission (UGC) has released the notification for the Post Graduate Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child for the academic session 2022-23. Under this Scheme, 3000 scholarship slots are available for girl students who are admitted in the first year of PG courses in Universities/ Colleges and happen to be the only girl child in the family.
The Government of India has taken several steps to promote and uplift the status of women by implementing schemes like this Scholarship program and various other schemes including free education for girls.
Table of Contents
Objective of the PG Scholarship for Single Girl Child
The objectives of the proposed scheme are:
- To support post-graduate education of single girl children in postgraduate courses only.
- To recognize the value of observance of the small family norms.
Eligibility criteria for PG Scholarship for Single Girl Child
- Age limit: Girl students up to the age of 30 years at the time of admission in the first year of PG courses are eligible.
- The scheme is applicable to such a single girl child who has taken admission to a regular, full-time first-year Master’s Degree course in any designated university or a post-graduate college.
- Admission to PG Course in Distance education mode is not covered under the scheme.
- Girl students without having any brother or the girl student who are twin daughters/ fraternal daughter may also apply for scholarship under the aforesaid scheme. In a family, if one son and one daughter is available then a girl child will not be considered for a scholarship under the scheme.
Benefit of the PG Scholarship for Single Girl Child
- Each selected candidate will be awarded a fellowship amount of Rs. 36,200/- per year for a period of two years only i.e. full duration of a PG course.
- No other additional grant will be payable in lieu of hostel charges and medical charges etc.
- After selection, the awardees will be paid scholarship on DBT (Direct Benefit Transfer) mode on annual basis.
Important dates for the PG Scholarship for Single Girl Child
The application portal for the PG Scholarship for Single Girl Child is live now and interested candidates can visit the official website of the National Scholarship Portal (NSP) and apply for the Scholarship.
|Scheme closing date||31st October 2022|
|Defective Application Verification closing date||15th November 2022|
|Institute Verification closing date||15th November 2022|
Guidelines for renewal of the PG Scholarship for Single Girl Child
- The scholarship will be renewed for the next year of study on receipt of renewal forms.
- Students failing to get promoted to the next class/ level would forfeit the scholarship.
- Change in course of study will not be permitted. If the awardee changes the course of study, the scholarship will stand forfeited from the date of such a change.
- The scheme will be implemented and monitored by the UGC.
- The awardees of previous years will continue to follow the pattern of assistance through UGC/ Canara Bank portal.
- The Aadhaar will be used as an identifier for disbursement of all Government subsidies/ Scholarships/ Fellowships which are to be disbursed directly into the beneficiary’s account.
- It is expected from the institutions where students have taken admission in the first year of PG course, no tuition fees will be charged by the institute to girl students to pursue PG degree course in Universities/ Colleges/ Institutions.
- The host institution where the candidate is studying is required to verify the online application.
- Affidavit regarding Single girl child status is required to be uploaded as per format given on the website.
For more Education news, click here.