ABC ID 2023: The University Grants Commission (UGC) has released a notification to create an Academic Bank Credit ID (ABC ID). The ABC ID will start from the upcoming new academic session, which will be undergoing from August of the current year. This new system has been availed to the students for proper implementation of the National Education Policy (NEP) across colleges and universities of the country.
The UGC chairman Jagadesh Kumar is very keen to ensure the proper implementation of the scheme all over the country. Taking stock of the implementation of NEP 2020 at a meeting on Tuesday, the UGC chairman urged vice-chancellors of central universities to ensure 100 percent registration on the ABC platform to create ABC ID 2023 from the upcoming academic year.
Table of Contents
ABC ID 2023: What is the ABC ID card all about?
Academic Bank of Credits is a national-level facility that will be a bank for academic purposes with students being academic account holders. It has been established on the lines of the National Academic Depository (NAD), in the sense, NAD is the backbone of ABC, where the students’ academic data are held and academic awards are stored (i.e. storehouse of academic awards).
The students need to create an ABC ID, with the help of their respective Aadhaar Cards on the ABC platform. The ABC platform will store the academic credits, in online mode, earned by each student individually. As mandated in NEP 2020, the initiative is meant to facilitate credit transfer of students, allowing them to move across streams and higher education institutions with ease.
Despite the fact that ABC enables students to register or commence credit transfer, the final outcomes of credit redemption and issuance of certificates, as well as the compilation of award records, are administered by academic institutions via the NAD Platform.
Main Features of ABC ID
The features regarding the ABC ID creation are laid down below:
- It allows academic institutions to lodge and maintain the integrity of all credits
- It maintains the authenticity and confidentiality of student credits
- There will be easy credit transfer through digital mode
- There will be faster credit recognition
Benefits regarding ABC ID
The ABC ID 2023 creation will lead to multiple facilities for students studying in Universities. The major facilities are laid below:
- Allows multiple entries, and multiple exits for students
- Stores student credit for a minimum shelf life of 7 years
- Transfer credit through a single window after approval of source and destination academic institution
- Only verified academic institutions can upload credits
- Improves transparency and helps to build a more flexible approach to curriculum design and development
How does ABC ID 2023 works for the student?
The ABC platform would act as a reference point for faculty to check the credit records of the students. The students need to follow the given guidelines to be a part of the ABC.
Creation of ABC ID 2023
With the help of Aadhaar details and their credentials, the students need to create a Unique ID. The process of creating of Unique ID is detailed in successive sections.
Allocation of the credit
The process of assigning a number of credits to qualifications, degree programmes, or single educational components. Credits are allocated to entire qualifications or programmes according to respective Universities or Autonomous institutions participating in the ABC scheme. As per the courses, the credit structure will be created by the Government.
When a student pursues any course and clears exams, credits will be automatically awarded to them. Institutions need to fill out the details and upload the deposits in the students’ Academic Credit Bank account on the digital portal.
Accumulation of the credit
THE ABC ID 2023 will help the student to accumulate credits in order to obtain qualifications, as required by the degree-awarding institution, or to document personal achievements for lifelong learning purposes. The other credit awarded by the portal such as SWAYAM will also be considered.
Awarding of the credits
The act of formally granting students and other learners the credits that are assigned to the qualification and/or its components if they achieve the defined learning outcomes. Credits are awarded to individual students after they have completed the required learning activities and achieved the defined learning outcomes, as evidenced by appropriate assessment.
Deposition of Credits
The credits earned by the students will be deposited in their ABC ‘Academic Account’ (ABC ID 2023). If the student moves to a different institution, the accumulated credits get transferred to the account of the new institution. Credits may be transferred from an institution to be accumulated in another program offered by the same or another institution. Once the credit is redeemed for the award of the above, it would be irrevocably debited from the respective student’s ‘Academic Account’ of ABC.
How will the students create an ABC ID?
There are simple steps to create an ABC ID for students:
- The student need to login into their Digi Locker account
- There are various categories there, the students need to click the ‘Education’ category
- There will be an option to create ABC ID
- The students should select their University
- Students can check accumulated credits
- Those who have not yet created a Digi locker account can CLICK HERE, and create their Digi Locker account id
Importance of ABC ID 2023
There are various merits of the current ABC ID creation. As mentioned by UGC Chairman, it will ensure flexibility to the students regarding their course selection. The other benefits are as follows:
- This platform will increase the student’s freedom in choosing their courses and academics
- It will also enable the student to drop out in any year and then exchange the credits earned so far with a certificate/ diploma if they are eligible.
- The students can redeem the credits and rejoin the same or any other institute in the future and continue their education.
- The institutes cannot keep the students in the courses against their will to earn money
|Notification Regarding ABC ID 2023||CLICK HERE|
|Academic Bank of Credits (ABC) Official Website||CLICK HERE|
For more educational news, click here