The online applications for the British Council STEM Scholarship program for women have begun under the Ministry of Education (MoE). This is a special scholarship scheme validated only for female students who wish to pursue their dream courses in areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM) in the top Universities of the UK and is appointed for the academic year from September/ October 2023-2024.
Interested ones can visit the official website for the registration process. The British Council STEM Scholarship 2023 will facilitate eligible female candidates from various nations including India, America, South Asia, East Asia, Western Balkans, Central Asia, Brazil, Egypt, Mexico, and Turkey.
The All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) published a notice on the 10th of February, 2023 on its website about the British Council STEM Scholarship for women. This notice was from the MoE’s higher education department and it reads, “The British Council Women in STEM Scholarships are awarded to women who wish to pursue postgraduate study in science, technology, engineering or maths (STEM) at a university in the UK who can demonstrate their need for financial support and who wish to inspire future generations of women to pursue careers in STEM.”
It further added that “It may be noted that the Ministry of Education, Government of India has no role in nomination or selection of the candidates. This notice is put up for wider public dissemination of information purpose only.”
Table of Contents
Who can apply?
- The candidate must be a woman.
- The candidate must be a permanent resident of India.
- The candidate should have completed all components of an undergraduate degree that will enable her to gain entry into a postgraduate program at a UK university partner by the time you submit your application and be due to start your postgraduate program in the UK.
- The candidate has not previously studied at a degree level or higher in the UK or lived recently in the UK.
- The candidate should meet the English language requirement of the UK university partner.
- The candidate should demonstrate the case for financial support.
- Return to the candidate’s country of citizenship for a minimum of two years after the scholarship award has ended.
Who can not apply?
Candidates fulfilling any of the mentioned points will not be considered eligible for the British Council STEM Scholarship 2022:
- If the candidate holds dual British citizenship, then they are not eligible.
- If the candidate is an employee, a former employee, or a relative of an employee of His Majesty’s Government (including British Embassies/High Commissions; the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy; Department for International Trade; the Ministry of Defence; and the Home Office)
- Is an employee, a former employee, or relative of an employee of the British Council STEM Scholarship for women-eligible countries: Relatives are defined as parents or stepparents, siblings or stepsiblings, children or stepchildren, spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner (where the couple has been in a relationship akin to marriage or civil partnership for at least two years).
- If the candidate is currently in receipt of financial support or funding for your study program in the UK from any other sources.
- Have previously studied in the UK with funding from a UK Government-funded scholarship or a UK institutional scholarship/ financial bursary.
The candidates selected for the British Council STEM Scholarship 2023 will get an opportunity to pursue their studies in the Universities of the UK and learn from the experts. These Universities are among the world’s leaders in STEM subjects.
In addition to this, candidates will be provided financial support which will include expenses of tuition fees, stipend, travel costs, visa and health coverage fees special support for mothers, and also English language support.
How to apply?
- Candidates should visit the official website of the British Council STEM Scholarship
- Scroll down the page to the “How to Apply” section
- As applications should be made directly to the participating universities, candidates can click on the link given against the name of universities after checking the courses offered by them
- After this, candidates need to follow the steps of admission as shown on the respective website of the universities
- On completion of the whole process, keep a copy of the application form for future reference
- The deadline for online application for the British Council STEM Scholarship differs according to the university.
- The earliest deadline is late February 2023 to the latest on 22 May 2023. Candidates are advised to check carefully on the website of the chosen University for full details of key dates and their application procedure.
- Candidates can fill out more than one application but need to apply through the preferred institution.
- For any queries regarding the British Council STEM Scholarship, candidates may refer to the concerned University. Each University has a link and a named contact on the scholarship web page. Candidates may opt to contact the British Council by emailing [email protected].
Frequently Asked Questions
1) Which masters are included in the scheme?
Each university has published a list of masters that scholars can apply to. Please refer to the web page of the university for the full list of programs available.
2) Is there an age limit to apply?
No, there is no age limit for the British Council STEM Scholarship 2023.
3) Can women with children apply for the scholarship?
Yes, special support will be given to women traveling with dependent children.
4) What special support is available for mothers?
There is additional funding for dependent children who are accompanying you to the UK, specific details of the amounts will be made clear to successful scholars.
5) If I can get the scholarship, can my children and husband get the visa for living as well?
UKVI is responsible for issuing visas for the UK. For information, please visit the UKVI website: https://www.gov.uk/student-visa/family-members
6) Can I apply to more than one University listed on your website?
Yes, you can apply to more than one university. If you are recommended for a scholarship at more than one university, the review panel will make the final decision on your allocation.
For more scholarship updates, click here.