Scholarships: NOS Scheme 2023 begins for students; Golden opportunity to go abroad for higher studies
NOS Scheme 2023 is a scholarship for SC and other backward category students to apply to foreign universities. The form fill-up dates began on 15th February 2023.
NOS Scheme 2023: On Wednesday, the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment started the registration process for the National Overseas Scholarship Scheme (NOS Scheme 2023). This scheme benefits meritorious students from Schedule Castes (SCs), belonging to the families of Denotified Tribes, Traditional Artisans, and Landless Agriculture labourers to get a proper education in foreign countries. The students of these categories may obtain higher education which includes a Master’s degree or Ph.D. courses by studying abroad thereby improving their Economic and Social status.
The given scheme will help the students belonging to the specified category, to pursue their dream to study abroad where the financial assistance would be assisted by the Government of India. Out of the total students, 30% of the awards under NOS Scheme 2023, for each year shall be earmarked for women
Also Read: JEE Main 2023 session 2 registration started; check dates, steps to apply
NOS Scheme 2023: Basic information regarding the scholarship scheme
The NOS Scheme 2023 can help many students who have the zeal to pursue higher education in foreign institutes. This scheme has been launched by the Central Government where 125 students will be selected. This scheme does not provide a way to get admission to a foreign university. The students must get admitted to a foreign university and based on the University will avail of the scholarship.
The seat break up for the NOS Scheme 2023 are:
|Denotified, Nomadic and Semi-Nomadic|
|Landless Agricultural Labourers and|
Eligibility Criteria to avail of the scheme
There are educational criteria for both Master’s and Ph.D. courses as well as age and income ceiling for becoming an eligible candidate for availing NOS Scheme 2023. The details are laid below:
- The students must secure at least 60% marks or an equivalent grade in the qualifying examination would be required.
- In the case of Ph.D. courses, the qualifying exam would be a Master’s Degree and for Master’s Degree courses, the qualifying examination would be Bachelor’s Degree.
- In case a student has completed a Bachelor’s of Engineering after completing Diploma (Lateral Entry to 2nd year), the percentage of marks obtained in the Bachelor’s degree will be taken into account.
- For any University, the percentage would be calculated on the basis of the marks obtained by the applicant in various semesters/ terms.
- The mark sheet for all semesters is to be provided.
- Wherein the University provides only the CGPA and not the numerical marks, a formula for conversion of CGPA to numerical marks bearing authentication by the University should invariably be provided.
- In case mark sheets for all semesters/ terms are not submitted with the application form the candidature of the applicant will be rejected. Likewise, if the formula of conversion of CGPA (wherever applicable) is not submitted by the applicant with his application form, the candidature would be rejected.
- No representations, in this regard, in either case, will be entertained by the authorities.
The candidate must not be more than 35 (Thirty-Five) years, as on the first day of April for the year he/ she will be selected.
- Total family income from all sources shall not exceed Rs. 8.00 lakh per annum in the preceding financial year.
- The income certificate should be issued by a Revenue Officer, not below the rank of “Tehsildar”.
- The students will submit the Income Tax Return (ITR)/ ITRs of the family members as well.
Financial Assistance under NOS Scheme 2023
The financial assistance under NOS Scheme 2023 has two different categories for assistance in US and UK. The details are laid down below:
|TYPE OF ASSISTANCE||US & OTHER COUNTRIES|
|Annual Maintenance Allowance||15400 US|
|9900 Great Britain|
|Contingency Allowance||1500 US|
|Tuition Fees||Actual as charged||Actual as charged|
|Visa Fees||Actual visa fees in Indian Rupees||Actual visa fees in Indian Rupees|
|Medical Insurance Premium||Actual as charged||Actual as charged|
Allowance & Equipment Allowance
|20 US Dollars for each/ its|
equivalent in Indian Rupees
|20 US Dollars for each/ its|
equivalent in Indian Rupees
Note: For assistance such as
- Air Passage:
- The awardees shall be allowed to purchase air tickets (from the nearest Airport to their Hometown in India to the nearest place to the educational institution and back to India) from the three authorized travel agents viz. Balmer Lawrie & Company Limited (BLCL), Ashok Travels & Tours (ATT), Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation Ltd (IRCTC) with the condition that the ticket purchased must be of economy class/ shortest route on the date of booking.
- The choice of the travel agent for booking the ticket is left open to the awardees. No Booking charges/ excess baggage/ cancellation charges & other add-ons will be reimbursed to awardees.
- The awardees will claim reimbursement of airfare from their respective Indian Mission abroad providing a joining report from University. The conditions will be effective from 1st Jan 2022.
- Return tickets will be booked by Indian Mission abroad as per clause 11(iii).
- Railway fare:
- Second or Coach Class railway fare from the port of disembarkation to the place of study and back.
- In the case of far-flung places not connected by rail, bus fare(s) from the place of residence to the nearest railway station, the actual charge of crossing by ferry, airfare to the nearest rail-cum-air Station and/or second-class railway fare by the shortest route to the port of embarkation and back will be permissible.
- The mode of disbursement of above listed financial assistance will be decided by the Government of India and Indian Missions abroad.
Duration of NOS Scheme 2023 for students
The duration of the award for Master and Ph.D. applying students is given below:
|DEGREE||AWARDING SCHOLARSHIP YEARS|
Important dates regarding NOS Scheme 2023 are given below:
|Opening of Portal (for 1st Round)||15/02/2023|
|Closing of Portal||31/03/2023|
|1st Round results||June|
|Opening of Portal (for 2nd Round)||1/09/2023|
|Closing of Portal||15/10/2023|
Selection procedures under NOS Scheme 2023
The selection of the students under NOS Scheme 2023 would occur with certain procedures.
- The selection year period would be April-March of each year. The portal shall be opened for calling of applications for the first round from mid of February for a period of 45 days (before the beginning of the year that he or she has been selected) and only online applications received shall be considered for award of selection.
- In case the slots remain unfilled, the portal will be opened again for the second cycle from the 1st of September for a period of 45 days in each of the selection years. Once all the 125 slots are filled, the portal will not be reopened during the year for the submission of applications.
- For the first round of each Selection Year, family income for the last completed financial year will be taken into account for the purpose of selection.
- For the second round, the family income for the previous completed financial year will be taken into account for purpose of selection. For example, for the selection for the financial year 2023-24, an online portal for inviting applications for NOS Scholarship for the first round will be opened from 15 February 2023 to 31 March 2023 and family income for the financial year 2021-22 will be taken into account for purpose of selection.
- The portal for the second round will be opened from 1st September 2023 to 15th October 2023 and for that family income for the financial year 2022-23 will be taken into account for purpose of selection.
- Online applications complete in all respects only shall be considered for award. All incomplete applications will be summarily rejected. However, the rejected candidates will have the option to apply in subsequent phases of selection.
- The candidates are required to submit documents as per the attached Annexure I (link given below).
- Grievances in connection with results will be entertained for up to 30 calendar days from the publication of the Result in the portal.
Steps to apply for the scheme
The steps required to apply for NOS Scheme 2023 are given in detail:
- The candidates, after assessing their eligibility can apply online to this Ministry on the portal, i.e., www.nosmsje.gov.in.
- New Applicants applying for the Scholarship for the first time need to register under the “Student Register Form” under the login tab.
- The applicant is required to provide accurate information while filling out the form. After successful login details, a text message will be sent to the registered e-mail address.
- The E-mail address and password entered by the applicant will be the user-id and password respectively for filling out the application form. The same login-id and password will be used for any query/information from the Department.
- The applicants are required to fill out the application form accurately and upload the requisite documents in order to successfully submit the application. The list of documents to be uploaded at the time of Application is in Annexure-I.
- The portal will remain open till 31st March 2023 for receiving applications for the first round of selection. A list of selected/ not selected candidates will be uploaded on the online portal. Individual
emails/ messages will also be sent to all registered applicants in due course of time. An incomplete application will be rejected.
- In case of selection of the candidate, the applicant is required to submit the Attestation form and other documents as sought by the Department.
- Applicants are advised to read the detailed guidelines/ scheme guidelines 2023-24 carefully as available in the portal before filling out the application form, please check all the details before.
|IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS||LINK TO DOWNLOAD|
|Guidelines (Includes Annexure I)||CLICK HERE|
|Format for Income Certificate||CLICK HERE|
|Format for Certificate of being Landless Agricultural Labourer||CLICK HERE|
|Format for Certificate of being Traditional Artisan||CLICK HERE|
For more educational news, click here