Cotton University Ph.D. admissions open; apply before 6 February
Admission in PhD courses starts in Cotton University. Students can check in official website to apply for the course.
Cotton University Ph.D. Admissions: Cotton University (CU) has released notifications regarding Ph.D. admissions for the ongoing session. The notifications were released on the 27th of January, 2022. And Cotton University is all set to conduct the Ph.D. admission test on the 20th of February, 2022. The online submission of the application forms will start from the 1st of February and will last till the 6th of the month. Different department of CU has already released their intake capacity. However, few departments have not released the notifications, as there is no capacity for doctorate students in the respective departments.
Cotton University PhD admissions: Eligibility criteria
- A Master’s degree or equivalent from a UGC recognised University with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its where applying equivalent grade, in a subject related to the PhD discipline.
- A relaxation of 5% of marks or an equivalent relaxation of grade, from the requirement of above, shall be applicable to candidates belonging to SC/ ST/ OBC/ Differently-Abled and such other categories as specified in case of admission in an institution under Government of Assam.
- While determining the eligibility of a candidate subject to conditions (i) and (ii) above, grace marks or points awarded in the qualifying examination, if any, shall not be counted.
- Selections will be via a Written Entrance Test followed by Viva-voce to be held separately for each Department/ Discipline. The minimum qualifying marks in the Entrance Test is fixed at 50% as per UGC guidelines. The minimum mark qualifying for belonging to the candidates mentioned in (ii) above will be 45%. For final selection of candidates a weightage of 70% to the entrance test and 30% to the performance in the interview/ viva-voce shall be given.
- The University reserves the option to call applicants with national-level scholarships such as UGC/ CSIR Junior Research Fellowship, INSPIRE etc. to viva-voce/ interview with consideration of their performance in the written test. However, the reserves the right not to exercise this option.
- Candidates who had cleared NET or SLET in the related discipline within university also a period of two years preceding the date of this notification may be eligible for a 5 per cent relaxation of qualifying marks in the Written Examination.
- The number of seats available for each Department/discipline will depend on permissible limits of the research scholars that can be assigned to a Guide and other relevant parameters on the date of viva-voce. The University reserves the right not to fill up any vacant seat if suitable candidates are not found.
- All selected Research Scholars must comply with the conditions of the PhD programme. Attendance of PhD Coursework classes is compulsory for all Research Scholars and one with attendance less than 75% of total classes held in the concerned Department/Faculty shall be debarred from appearing in the PhD Coursework Examination.
Also read: BHU RET admissions: The last date to apply is 15th February
How to apply
The application window will be available on the official website from the 1st of February, 2022. All the interested students can visit the Admission Dashboard on Cotton University’s website and register themselves for the entrance test to be held on February 20 on the Unversity campus itself. Students will get time up to the 6th of February to pay the application fees of Rs. 1200, and will need to submit their forms on or before 7th February.
Number of seats available
There are a lot of seats for new admissions in various departments of Cotton University. In general, Cotton University does not release any notification related to the number of available seats for admissions. But this time, they have clearly notified the number of seats available in each of their departments, as given in the table below.
|Department||Faculty||Number of Seats|
|Economics||Human and Social Science||5|
|Education||Human and Social Science||3|
|History||Human and Social Science||5|
|Sociology||Human and Social Science||2|
|Assamese||Language, Literature & Linguistics||5|
|Bengali||Language, Literature & Linguistics||4|
|Bodo||Language, Literature & Linguistics||2|
|Hindi||Language, Literature & Linguistics||4|
|Persian||Language, Literature & Linguistics||1|
|Chemistry||Physical, Chemical & Mathematical Sciences||15|
|Computer Science||Physical, Chemical & Mathematical Sciences||3|
|Mathematics||Physical, Chemical & Mathematical Sciences||6|
|Physics||Physical, Chemical & Mathematical Sciences||8|
|Statistics||Physical, Chemical & Mathematical Sciences||3|
Cotton University has already completed the Undergraduate and Postgraduate admissions process in the month of December last year. And the process for admissions into Ph.D. courses will most probably end by the start of March. However, authorities have not informed yet of an exact date for the announcement of the results of the Ph.D. admission test
For more educational news and updates from Cotton University, click here.