Gauhati University has opened the application portal for accepting forms for admission into postgraduate courses in the university and its affiliated colleges. The application portal for Gauhati University PG Admissions 2023 is open from the 6th of June, and candidates will have time up to the 20th of June to apply for the same.
This year, Gauhati University will conduct the postgraduate entrance test from the 15th to the 17th of July. And any student can opt for appearing in the entrance examination for a maximum of three subjects (one traditional and two interdisciplinary).
Table of Contents
Gauhati University is looking to admit around 1800 students in Master’s degree programmes in 57 disciplines in Arts, Science & Technology, Law, Commerce, and Management. Here is the detailed list of courses along with the number of seats available for each of the programs.
(A) Master of Arts (MA)
- Arabic (Intake Capacity: 60)
- Anthropology (Intake Capacity: 33)
- Assamese (Intake Capacity: 88)
- Bengali (Intake Capacity: 55)
- Bodo (Intake Capacity: 48)
- Comparative Indian Literature (Intake Capacity: 25)
- Economics (Intake Capacity: 75)
- Education (Intake Capacity: 60)
- English (Intake Capacity: 76)
- Folklore Studies (Intake Capacity: 25)
- Geography (Intake Capacity: 40)
- Hindi (Intake Capacity: 55)
- History (Intake Capacity: 72)
- Linguistics (Intake Capacity: 20)
- English Language Teaching (Intake Capacity: 30)
- Mass Communication (Intake Capacity: 38)
- Persian (Intake Capacity: 15)
- Philosophy (Intake Capacity: 72)
- Political Science (Intake Capacity: 75)
- Psychology (Intake Capacity: 33)
- Sanskrit (Intake Capacity: 80)
- Sociology (Intake Capacity: 55)
- Women’s Studies (Intake Capacity: 45)
(B) Master of Science (M.Sc.)
- Anthropology (Intake Capacity: 33)
- Biotechnology (Intake Capacity: 27)
- Botany (Intake Capacity: 40)
- Chemistry (Intake Capacity: 50)
- Computer Science (Intake Capacity: 30)
- Information Technology (Intake Capacity: 10)
- Electronics and Communication Technology (Intake Capacity: 20)
- Environmental Management (Intake Capacity: 15)
- Environmental Science (Intake Capacity: 15)
- Geography (Intake Capacity: 40)
- Geology (Intake Capacity: 30)
- Herbal Science & Technology (Intake Capacity: 30)
- Instrumentation & Applied Physics (Intake Capacity: 20)
- Mathematics (Intake Capacity: 90)
- Microbiology (Intake Capacity: 10)
- Microelectronics & Adv Communication (Intake Capacity: 12)
- Physics (Intake Capacity: 50)
- Radiological Physics (Intake Capacity: 10)
- Statistics (Intake Capacity: 30)
- Zoology (Intake Capacity: 50)
- Wildlife Science (Intake Capacity: 15)
(C) Master of Technology (M.Tech.)
- Material Science & Technology (Intake Capacity: 18)
- Information Technology (Intake Capacity: 20)
- Signal Processing & Communication Engineering (Intake Capacity: 18)
- Signal Processing & VLSI (Intake Capacity: 18)
(D) Other Courses
- Master of Commerce (Intake Capacity: 71)
- MSc in Nursing (Intake Capacity: 20)
- Master in Medical Laboratory Science:
- Haematology & Blood Banking (Intake Capacity: 5)
- Clinical Biochemistry (Intake Capacity: 5)
- Medical Microbiology (Intake Capacity: 5)
- Master of Tourism & Management (Intake Capacity: 60)
- Master of Library and Information Science Intake Capacity: 35)
- LLM (Intake Capacity: 50)
(E) Courses in Affiliated Colleges/ Institutions
Along with the above-mentioned courses in Gauhati University Campus, there are seats available in 50 affiliated colleges/ institutes for various postgraduate courses. Interested candidates can check the detailed list of courses available in affiliated colleges/ institutes and their intake capacity by clicking here.
Who Can Apply?
- For the students who are passing out this year under the new CBCS course, there is NO requirement of an Honours / Major course for Gauhati University PG Admissions 2023 in any subject. All you need is a minimum credit of 24 in the concerned subject (for traditional subjects) to be eligible to seek admission.
- For students who passed out from non-CBCS courses, they should have completed BA/ B.Sc/ B.Com (in 10+2+3 pattern) with Major/ honors courses in the concerned subject or BA/ B.Sc/ B.Com (in 10+2+3 pattern) with a general pass course with at least 45% Marks in the concerned subject as well as in aggregate or equivalent CGPA. The 45% mark is to be calculated on the basis of marks obtained in Part I and Part II of the (2+1) pattern and Part I, part II, and Part III of the (1+1+1) pattern are eligible to seek admission to the university.
- Also, certain specific eligibility criteria have been fixed by the concerned departments. So, candidates are requested to check the eligibility criteria for the courses beforehand in the Admission portal.
Gauhati University PG Admissions 2023: Steps to apply
Before applying for Gauhati University PG Admissions 2023, all the candidates need to create a Unique Id from the website of the Department of Higher Education (DHE), Assam. Candidates will need to enter their Unique IDs while filling out the application forms. Once done, candidates need to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Visit the application portal (Scroll Down for Direct Link)
- Click on the button given to apply for PG Entrance Examination – 2023
- Enter your basic details like Phone number, Date of birth, and get yourself registered on the portal
- Once done, log in and enter the details as asked in the admission portal – which will include your personal information, address info, academic details, etc.
- Next, upload the required documents, your image, and your signature
- Then choose the courses, you wish to apply for and proceed
- Lastly, pay the application fees and submit your form for Gauhati University PG Admissions 2023
- Please download a copy of your application form and the payment receipt for future references
- While registering for Gauhati University PG Admissions 2023, candidates need to pay the Registration Fees. It includes the Application Fee of:
- Rs. 1000 (one thousand) for one subject
- Rs. 1500 (one thousand five hundred) for two subjects
- Rs. 2000 (two thousand) for three subjects
- The registration fee is non-refundable. So, candidates are requested to check the eligibility criteria for the courses beforehand in the portal for Gauhati University PG Admissions 2023.
Selection Procedure: GUPGET 2023
The merit list for Gauhati University PG Admissions 2023 will be fully based on the candidates’ performance in the entrance examination, i.e. GUPGET 2023. The GUPGET 2023 will be conducted from the 15th to the 17th of July, 2023. The examination will have 100 multiple-choice questions (MCQ), and candidates will get 2 hours of time to complete it. For each correct answer, 1 mark will be awarded while for each wrong answer, 0.25 marks will be deducted.
Guwahati University also offers a 70% reservation of seats in traditional subjects for GU students and the remaining 30% of seats are open for all students including students from GU. Interestingly, this special reservation for the GU students was 50% in previous years, but it got increased by 20% this time. Also, note that there is no such reservation in interdisciplinary subjects and seats are open to all students.
Along with this, Gauhati University will completely follow the reservation structure laid out by the government for candidates belonging to SC/ ST/ OBC/ EWS/ PwD categories. And eligible students can also apply for Gauhati University PG Admissions 2023 under various other quotas for co-curricular activities/ NSS/ NCC/ Fringe Village category/ Ex-Servicemen category/ GU Employee category/ Ex-GU employee category, according to their matching criteria under different branches.
GUPGET 2023 Schedule
|Date/ Time||9:00 AM to 11:00 AM||12:00 Noon to 2:00 PM||3:00 PM to 5:00 PM|
|15th July 2023||Environmental Science, English Language/ English Language Teaching, Philosophy, M. Tech. Signal Processing, and VLSI||Sanskrit, Political Science, Geology, Microbiology, Psychology, Electronics & Communication, Technology/ Microelectronics, and Advanced Communication Technology||Botany, Chemistry, Zoology, M. Tech. Signal Processing, and Communication, Linguistics, Folklore Studies|
|16th July 2023||Assamese, Hindi, Arabic, Economics, Education, English, History, Environmental Management||Computer Science/ Information Technology, Anthropology, Comparative Indian Literature, Commerce, Tourism Management||Bengali, Bodo, Persian, Material Science & Technology, Mass Communication|
|17th July 2023||Biotechnology/ Herbal Science and Technology, Instrumentation & Applied Physics, Sociology||Geography, Wildlife Science, Women’s Studies, Mathematics||Botany, Chemistry, Zoology, M. Tech. Signal Processing, and Communication, Linguistics, Folklore Studies|
These are important dates regarding Gauhati University PG Admissions 2023:
|Opening of Admission portal||06th June 2023|
|Last date for submitting application forms||20th June 2023|
|Issue of Admit Cards||01st July 2022|
|Date of Entrance Examination for Gauhati University PG Admissions 2023||15-17th July 2022|
|Date of publishing the rank list||29th July 2022|
|Date of Admission||3-4th August 2022|
|Commencement of Classes||07th August 2022|
|Official Website||Click Here|
|Admission Notification||Click Here|
|Direct Link to Apply||Click Here|
|GUPGET 2023 Schedule||Click Here|
For more Education news, click here.