The North East Council (NEC) has recently released the notification for the NEC Merit Scholarship which is under the Scheme- “Financial Support to the Students of North East Region for Higher Professional Courses” undergoing studies in different disciplines at different levels in Institutions inside as well as outside the North-East but within the country.
These scholarships are available for studies in India only and shall be awarded by the North Eastern Council, Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region, Government of India, Shillong to the eligible candidates of the North Eastern States.
Table of Contents
Eligibility Criteria for NEC Merit Scholarship
- The NEC Merit Scholarship is open only to a student who is a permanent resident of any of the North Eastern States.
- Once selected, the scholarship shall be available to a student chosen for the prescribed duration of a course subject to fulfillment of renewal conditions.
- A student enrolled in an integrated course will be entitled to receive the scholarship for the entire duration of the course.
- The scholarship for M.Phil will be available for 2 years and for the Ph.D. students, the scholarship shall be for 3 years.
- At the time of availing of the scholarship, the student must not be in receipt of any other scholarship/ financial assistance from any other source.
- A student shall only be considered for a scholarship in the year of commencement of their course. For the subsequent year, of course, only renewal will be allowed.
- The scholarship shall be admissible to students who get admission in Diploma, Degree, or Post-graduate registration in M.Phil/ Ph.D. courses of any institute recognized by the Government. The grant of scholarship for M.Phil and Ph.D. would be after the registration of the students with the University.
- The Scholarship will not be available for an internship or any practical training.
- The scholarship shall be admissible to the students whose parent/ guardian’s annual income from all sources shall not exceed rupees 08 lakhs. The candidate shall furnish the income certificate issued by the competent authority.
|HSLC/ HSSLC/ Secondary School Leaving/ Senior Secondary Leaving certificate examination from a recognized Board with a minimum of 60% marks in aggregate.
|HSSLC/ Senior Secondary Leaving certificate examination from a recognized State/ Central board with a minimum of 60% marks in aggregate.
|Degree-level examination in any discipline (BA/ B.Sc/ BE/ B.Tech/ MBBS/ LLB/ BCA/ BBA etc. of any recognized Institute/ University with a minimum of 60% marks in aggregate.
|PG degree from any recognized University with a minimum of 60% marks in aggregate.
Documents Required for NEC Merit Scholarship
- Permanent Residential Certificate (PRC) issued by the Dy. Commissioner/ Addl. Dy. Commissioners/ Sub-divisional officers of civil sub-divisions in the NE States; except Sikkim where Certificate of Identification (COI) is issued by the respective Deputy Commissioner in the Govt. of Sikkim to its Permanent residents
- Income Certificate issued by the Competent Authority
- The front page of a Bank Account must (preferably in the name of the applicant)
- Details and certificates of qualifying examination
- Synopsis signed by the project guide/ Director (Research) or any official authorized by the Institute/ University in the case of M.Phil/ Ph.D. candidates
- Along with these, any other document may also be required as per the NSP guidelines
Benefits of the NEC Merit Scholarship
|Level of Study
|Scholarship amount for fresh and renewal cases (existing students)
|Rs. 20,000 per year
|Rs. 22,000 per year
|Rs. 25,000 per year
|Rs. 30,000 per year
Important dates for NEC Merit Scholarship
The application portal for the NEC Merit Scholarship is now open, interested candidates can visit the official website and apply.
|Closing of the application portal
|31st October 2022
|Defective application verification date
|15th November 2022
|Institute verification date
|15th November 2022
Guidelines for renewal of the NEC Merit Scholarship
- Every renewal of the scholarship is for a period of one academic year only, if not otherwise specified. All existing and eligible beneficiaries of the scholarship are required to fill up the renewal form on NSP every year during their entire course period.
- The student shall be required to upload the previous exam marksheet/ pass certificate during the renewal application. In the case of students studying for an M.Phil/ Ph.D, the renewal application shall be accompanied by the latest progress report from the guide countersigned by the Registrar of the Institute.
- To draw a scholarship under the renewal category, the beneficiary must pass in the particular year or be promoted to the next semester/ year.
- Any break in scholarship, during the entire course period, shall make the beneficiary non-eligible for further receipt of the scholarship for that specific course.
For more education news and updates, click here.