PM USP Scholarship 2023: The Department of Higher Education (DHE) has notified about the Pradhan Mantri Uchchatar Shiksha Protsahan Yojana, which is a Central Sector Scheme of Scholarship for students in Colleges and Universities. The PM USP Scholarship 2023 comes with 82,000 fresh scholarships per annum for candidates pursuing graduate/ postgraduate degrees in colleges and universities and for professional courses, such as Medical, Engineering etc.
The main aim of Pradhan Mantri Uchchatar Shiksha Protsahan Yojana is to provide financial assistance to meritorious students from low-income families to meet part of their day-to-day expenses while pursuing higher studies. In this article, interested students can find all the details starting from the Benefits of the scheme, and steps to apply to eligibility conditions.
Table of Contents
About the PM USP Scholarship Scheme
The Pradhan Mantri Uchchatar Shiksha Protsahan Yojana (PM USP Scholarship 2023) or Central Sector Scheme of Scholarship is awarded by the Ministry of Education, Government of India on the basis of results of the Higher Secondary/ Class XII Board Examination. The scheme aims to help a maximum of 82,000 candidates per annum for pursuing graduate/ postgraduate degrees in colleges and universities and for professional courses, such as Medical, Engineering, etc.
Allocation of the Funds
- The PM USP scholarships are allocated to State Education Boards based on the state’s population in the 18-25 age group, taking into account the number of students graduating from CBSE and ICSE schools.
- 50% of the Pradhan Mantri Uchchatar Shiksha Protsahan scholarships are set aside for girls.
- In the case of scholarships for UTs in Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh, 3% are specifically reserved for students from Ladakh.
- The scholarships for each State Education Board are distributed among graduates from the Humanities, Science, and Commerce streams in a ratio of 3:3:1 respectively.
- If there aren’t enough applications, the scholarship slots can be used interchangeably among different categories (General, OBC, SC & ST), genders (Female, Male), and State Quotas starting from the 2022-23 academic year, as long as it adheres to the Ministry of Finance and NITI Aayog guidelines for SC/ ST fund allocation. This will ensure maximum utilization of available scholarship slots.
Benefits of PM USP Scholarship 2023
The benefits of Pradhan Mantri Uchchatar Shiksha Protsahan Yojana for various categories of beneficiaries are given below:
|Academic Level||Amount per annum|
|Graduation level, for the first three years of College and University courses||Rs. 12,000/-|
|Post Graduation level||Rs. 20,000/-|
|4th and 5th year of professional (5) years/ Integrated course||Rs. 20,000/-|
|1st, 2nd, and 3rd year of technical courses such as B.Tech, B.Engg||Rs. 12,000/-|
|4th year of technical courses such as B.Tech, B.Engg||Rs. 20,000/-|
The eligibility criteria to apply for PM USP Scholarship 2023 are described below:
- Students who are above the 80th percentile of successful candidates in the relevant stream from the respective Board of Examination in Class XII of 10+2 pattern or equivalent are eligible to apply
- He/ she should be pursuing a degree course in regular mode and not in correspondence or distance mode or pursuing Diploma courses
- The institute where the student is pursuing a course has to be recognized by the All India Council for Technical Education and the respective Regulatory Bodies concerned
- Candidates should not be availing the benefit of any other scholarship schemes including State-run scholarship schemes/ fee waiver & reimbursement schemes
- Students with gross parental/ family income up to Rs. 4.5 lakh per annum are eligible to apply
- Students changing his/ her college/ institute of study will be allowed to continue/ renew the scholarship provided the course of study and the institution has a valid AISHE Code.
- Class XII Marksheet
- Annual Income Certificate of the parents
- Aadhaar card
- Bank Passbook for filling in bank details (bank account must be in the name of the applicant)
- Caste certificate (if applicable)
- Disability certificate (if applicable)
How to apply?
The candidates applying for the Pradhan Mantri Uchchatar Shiksha Protsahan Yojana or PM USP Scholarship 2023 can follow the given steps:
- First of all, candidates need to visit the official website of the National Scholarship Portal (NSP) by clicking on the link given below
- Click on the “Fresh Application” link given in the Application corner
- Read the instructions given, then enter basic details and get registered on the portal
- Next, log in to the application portal using the application ID and password sent to their registered mobile number
- Fill personal and academic details and then proceed to the next step
- Now, NSP will show a list of scholarship schemes, for which candidates are eligible based on the information provided by them in previous steps
- From the list, select PM USP Scholarship 2023 and proceed
- Now, check the list of documents that are required to be uploaded, and get them ready
- Once documents/ images are uploaded, submit the application form and download it
- Lastly, candidates need to take a printout of the application form and submit it along with a copy of all the relevant documents to the office of their college/ university for further approval
- The selection procedure for PM USP Scholarship 2023 will be based on the final marks of class XII, as there will be no written or online test for the selection of the candidates.
- Once the candidate submits the hard copy of the application form and relevant documents to their college/ university, they will check it and approve the application.
- Next, the application will be verified by the concerned agency/ department/ nodal officers and they will forward it for ministry-level verification
- Once the verification process is completed, a merit list will be prepared exclusively on the basis of marks obtained by the candidate in the qualifying exams of the last Academic Year
- Students who will be under the top 20th percentile list or are above the 80th percentile of successful candidates in the relevant stream from the respective Board of Examination in Class XII of 10+2 pattern or equivalent will be selected and they will receive the grant.
Reservation of seats
|Opening of Registration portal for PM USP Scholarship||3rd October, 2023|
|Closing date of the portal||31st December 2023|
|Last date to verify the Defective application||Not announced yet|
|Last date for Institute-Level Verification||Not announced yet|
|DNO/ SNO/ MNO Verification||Not announced yet|
|National Scholarship Portal|
|New Registration Link for PM USP Scholarship|
|Guidelines for PM USP Scholarship 2023|
|Check the Institution’s AISHE number|
For more educational news, click here.