The University Grants Commission (UGC) has released notification for the Postgraduate Scholarship for SC/ST candidates for the academic session 2022-23. Under this Scheme, one thousand candidates from postgraduate level studying in any Professional subjects like Engineering & Technology, Management, Pharmacy, etc. in Indian Universities/ Institutions/ Colleges will be awarded the scholarship.
Table of Contents
Objective of the Postgraduate Scholarship for SC/ST Candidates
The aim of the scheme is to provide financial assistance to SC/ST candidates and has been initiated keeping in view the social background of the candidates from the deprived section of the society and to provide them an opportunity to undertake postgraduate level studies in Professional subjects.
Eligibility of the Postgraduate Scholarship for SC/ST Candidates
For the purpose of an award of the scholarship students who are pursuing professional courses in the following Institutions/ Colleges/ Universities:
- Universities/ Institutions/ College funded by Central or State government
- Institutes of National Importance
- Universities/ Institutions/ Colleges included under section 2(f) & and 12(B) of UGC Act
- Deemed to be Universities included under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956, and eligible to receive grants-in-aid from UGC
Courses that require approval from the Regulatory Council i.e. Medical Council of India (MCI), Dental Council of India (DCI), Pharmacy Council of India (PCI), Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI), NCTIS, NCTE Bar Council of India (BCI), All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), INC, Forensic Regulatory & Development Authority of India are considered professional courses.
Benefits of the Postgraduate Scholarship for SC/ST Candidates
- The tenure of the award is for two/three years depending upon the tenure of the postgraduate course and not for an extended period of study if any.
- Candidates selected for the award of PG scholarships (under ME/ M.Tech) shall be provided a Scholarship of Rs. 7800/- per month for the duration of their courses. And for other courses, the amount of scholarship will be paid is Rs. 4500/- per month.
- No contingency is payable to the students selected under the scheme with effect from the selection year 2017-18.
- The scholarship shall be payable to the awardee from the date of joining the Post Graduate 1st year course during the selection year.
Important dates for the Postgraduate Scholarship for SC/ST Candidates
The application portal for the Postgraduate Scholarship for SC/ST Candidates scheme is live now, interested candidates can visit the official website of the National Scholarship Portal (NSP) and apply for the Scholarship.
|Scheme closing date
|31st October 2022
|Defective Application Verification closing date
|15th November 2022
|Institute Verification closing date
|15th November 2022
Guidelines for renewal of the Postgraduate Scholarship for SC/ST Candidates
- Scholarship granted under the scheme will be kept renewed during the period of first-year post-graduate course subject to good conduct and maintenance of prescribed attendance.
- The scholarship will be renewed for the next year of study on receipt of an annual progress report to be granted by the administrative head of the University/ Institution/ College. (For example- Registrar of a University/ Director of the Institution/ Principal of the College or any other officer designated by them).
- Students failing to get promoted to the next class/ level would forfeit the scholarship.
- Change in course of study will not be permitted.
- The scheme will be implemented and monitored by the UGC.
- The awardees of previous years will continue to follow the UGC pattern of assistance through the designated bank branches of Canara Bank.
Important Points for the Postgraduate Scholarship for SC/ST Candidates
- The Scholarship amount will be paid to the selected students by the UGC through DBT (Direct Benefit Transfer) Mode and will be transferred to the Bank account of the beneficiaries. This procedure will be completed through the PFMS (Public Financial Management System).
- The Aadhaar will be used as an identifier for disbursement of all Government subsidies/ Scholarships/ Fellowships which are to be disbursed directly into the beneficiary’s account.
- MA, M.Sc, M.Com, MSW, and Mass Communication and Journalism degrees are considered “Non-professional courses”.
- Candidates pursuing post-graduate courses in professional subjects through correspondence or in Distance Education mode are not eligible to receive financial assistance under this scheme.
For more education news and updates, click here.