The University Grants Commission (UGC) which is the guiding body for higher education in India has released the notification for the Post Graduate Scholarship for University rank holders scheme. Under this Scheme, 3000 Scholarships will be awarded to selected students to attract talent for pursuing post-graduate studies. The awardees, under this scheme, can pursue their Postgraduate program in any area of specialization in any institution of higher learning in the country.
Table of Contents
Objective of the Scholarship for University rank holders scheme
- To promote and nurture talent.
- To reward meritorious students with outstanding performance at the Undergraduate level for pursuing postgraduate studies.
- To promote study in basic courses at the undergraduate level. Professional courses are not covered under the scheme.
- To build up academic excellence at the postgraduate level across the colleges and universities in the country.
Eligibility for the Scholarship for University rank holders scheme
- The scholarship is available to the student for the first PG Degree only.
- The age limit for the students is 30 years at the time of admission to the PG course.
- Distance mode of education will not be considered under the scheme.
- The Undergraduate courses from the following streams have been identified for the award of scholarships:
- Before verifying the applications of students the concerned Universities may ensure that applicants satisfy all norms as per guidelines.
- The first and second rank holders (Not position holders) would be considered from Universities/ Institutions and non-affiliated/ autonomous colleges according to the number of students who have appeared in the examination at the undergraduate level as per the following table.
|Nature of Institution
|No. of students who appeared in
examination at the UG level
|Affiliating Universities (State/ Central)
|Deemed Universities/ Private Universities/
Autonomous Colleges/ Non-affiliated
Benefit of the Scholarship for University rank holders scheme
- The selected candidates will receive an amount of Rs.3,100/- per month for a period of two years only i.e. full duration of a PG course. No other additional grant will be payable in lieu of hostel charges and medical charges etc.
- The student who is awarded a Post-Graduate Scholarship for University Rank Holders will not be debarred from accepting any other scholarships.
Important dates for the Scholarship for University rank holders scheme
The application portal for the Scholarship for University rank holders scheme is live now, interested candidates can visit the official website of the National Scholarship Portal (NSP) and apply for the Scholarship.
|Scheme closing date
|31st October 2022
|Defective Application Verification closing date
|15th November 2022
|Institute Verification closing date
|15th November 2022
Guidelines for renewal of the Scholarship for University rank holders scheme
- The Scholarships granted under the scheme will be kept renewed during the period of postgraduate course subject to good conduct and maintenance of prescribed attendance.
- The scholarship will be renewed for the next year of study on receipt of the renewal form.
- Students failing to get promoted to the next class/ level would forfeit the scholarship.
- Change in course of study will not be permitted.
- The scheme will be implemented and monitored by the UGC.
- The awardees of previous years will continue to follow the UGC pattern of assistance through the designated bank branches of Canara Bank.
Important Points for the Scholarship for University rank holders scheme
- The Scholarship amount will be paid to the selected students by the UGC through DBT (Direct Benefit Transfer) Mode and will be transferred to the Bank account of the beneficiaries. This procedure will be completed through the PFMS (Public Financial Management System).
- The Aadhaar will be used as an identifier for disbursement of all Government subsidies/ Scholarships/ Fellowships which are to be disbursed directly into the beneficiary’s account.
- The scholarship would, however, be subjected to securing a minimum of sixty percent marks at the undergraduate level.
For more education news and updates – click here