The MTTS trust which organizes the Mathematics Training and Talent Search (MTTS) Programme has released the notification for the 31st edition of the Mathematics Training and Talent Search (MTTS) Programme 2023. The program has been funded by the National Board for Higher Mathematics, an apex body of the Department of Atomic Energy, Government of India since its very beginning in 1993.
The MTTS program is a four-week intensive summer training program held usually in the month of May-June every year. It has been an effective and unparalleled training program and it has made a significant impact on the mathematics teaching and research scene in India. The candidates selected for the program will be provided free board and lodging for the duration of the course and also will be paid sleeper class return train fare by the shortest route.
Table of Contents
Aim of the MTTS programme
The aim of the MTTS program is not to give routine theorem-proof style lectures but to stimulate the participants to think and discover mathematical results on their own through group discussions, seminars, interactive sessions, and problem-solving.
Through this month-long training program, the organizing team aims to expose bright young students to the excitement of doing mathematics and promote creative thinking and initiate the art of asking questions. The also aims to promote problem-solving skills and prepare students for higher aspects of mathematics and a career in mathematics. And an effort at the grass root level to improve the teaching methodology of mathematics in the country.
Structure of the academic program
There are three levels in this Programme: Level O, Level I, and Level II which will be guided by active mathematicians with a strong commitment to teaching from leading institutions in the country.
- Level O: There will be courses in Foundations, Linear Algebra, Analysis, and Number Theory/ Group Theory.
- Levels I and II: There will be courses in Algebra, Analysis, Topology, and Linear Algebra
• Level O: 2nd-year undergraduate students with mathematics as one of the main/major subjects.
• Level I: 3rd-year undergraduate students with mathematics as one of the main/major subjects.
• Level II: 1st-year postgraduate students with mathematics as one of the main/major subjects.
Selection criteria for the MTTS program
The selection will be purely on merit, based on a consistent and good academic record and a recommendation letter from a mathematics professor closely acquainted with the candidate. The list of selected candidates will be posted on the MTTS website by March 07, 2023. Only selected candidates will be informed of their selection by email.
Venue and Duration
|Indian Institute of Technology Madras||May 22– June 17, 2023|
|Indian Institute of Technology Mandi||May 29– June 24, 2023|
|Indian Institute of Technology (ISM) Dhanbad||May 29–June 24, 2023|
Steps to apply
- Visit the online application site at 4dspace.mtts.org.in
- Click on apply to a program
- Click on Generate OTP, if you have not generated one previously. If you already have an OTP received within the last 96 hours, click on I have an OTP.
- Provide your email address
- Click on “Click here” to log in, and provide your email id and OTP received.
- You will be shown a list of programs to which the application process is open. Click on “Application form: Control panel” below the title of the program of your choice (For example, Online Programme on Initiation to Mathematics (InitMath) 2022, Jammu & Kashmir.)
- Click on “Application form: Start/resume”
- Fill in the details of papers in examinations
- Save and proceed, fill in the entries on the next page
- After filling the form completely, “validate and save”
- Come back to the Application form: Control panel (using the button given at almost top of the form page)
- Contact your teacher and inform him/her that you are including his/ her email id for submitting recommendations for you (in fact, you should do it even before starting to fill out the form!)
- Click on “Lock the form for recommendation”. Your recommending teacher whose email id you have filled in the form will get an email request from us to submit a recommendation form for you.
- Request your teacher to submit his/her recommendation if he/she finds that the information you have entered in the form is correct. He/she may unlock it for you for corrections so that you may make the corrections and again lock it.
- You may unlock it after 6 hours of locking, provided that your teacher is yet to submit a recommendation.
- Check the application status on the form control panel to see if the recommendation has been submitted or if you have been selected.
- Check the program web page for the selection list.
- Students whose names appear in the selection list should confirm their participation
- The details of the confirmation process will be explained on the program details page.
|Starting of online application||10th January 2023|
|End of online application||19th February 2023|
|Declaration of selection list||07th March 2023|
For more education news and updates, click here.