The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India has released the notification for the Centrally sponsored scheme of Pre Matric Scholarship for SC students in Assam studying in classes 9th & 10th. The scheme is introduced to promote with special care the educational and economic interests of the weaker sections of the people, in particular, of the Scheduled Castes (SC) and the Scheduled Tribes (ST).
Table of Contents
Objective of the Pre Matric Scholarship for SC students in Assam
- To support parents of SC children for the education of their wards studying in classes 9th and 10th so that the incidence of drop-out, especially in the transition from the elementary to the secondary stage is minimized, and
- To improve participation of SC children in classes 9th and 10th of the pre-matric stage, so that they perform better and have a better chance of progressing to the post-matric stage of education.
Eligibility for the Pre Matric Scholarship for SC students in Assam
- The student should belong to Scheduled Caste.
- The applicant’s Parent/ Guardian’s income should not exceed Rs. 2.50 lakh per year.
- The applicant should not be getting any other Centrally-funded Pre Matric Scholarship.
- However, the benefit of the National Means-cum- Merit scholarship scheme of the Department of School Education, and the Ministry of Human Resource Development can be availed by the beneficiaries of the Pre-Matric Scholarship Scheme for SC students.
- In pursuance of the provision of Section 7 of the Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Act 2016, a student is required to furnish proof of possession of Aadhaar or undergo Aadhaar Authentication. If not yet enrolled for Aadhaar, the student is required to make an application for Aadhaar enrolment.
- The applicant should be a regular, full-time student studying in a Government School or in a School recognized by Govt. or a Central/ State Board of Secondary Education.
- Scholarships for studying in any class will be available for only one year. If the student has to repeat a class, she/he would not get a scholarship for that class for a second (or subsequent) year.
Benefits of the Pre Matric Scholarship for SC students in Assam
The selected candidates will get the scholarship amount for the complete duration of the course which includes –
- Scholarships and other grants
- Additional allowance for students with disabilities studying in private un-aided recognized Schools.
The amount of the Scholarship scheme is as follows-
|Scholarship (for 10 months)||Rs. 225 per month||Rs. 525 per month|
|Books and Ad hoc Grant||Rs. 750 per month||Rs. 1000 per month|
For SC students with disabilities, studying in classes 9th & 10th in private un-aided recognized schools will be eligible for allowances under this Scheme, as follows-
|Allowances for students with disabilities |
studying in Private unaided Schools
|Amount (In Rs.)|
|Monthly Reader Allowance for Blind students.||160|
|Monthly Transport Allowance for students with disabilities (as defined in the Persons with Disabilities Act 1995), if such students do not reside in the hostel which is within the premises of the Educational Institution.||160|
|Monthly Escort Allowance for Severely Disabled (i.e. with 80% or higher disability) Day Scholars/ Students with low extremity disability.||160|
|Monthly Helper Allowance admissible to any of the hostels willing to extend help to a severely orthopedically handicapped student residing in the hostel of an Educational|
Institution who may need the assistance of a helper.
|Monthly Coaching Allowance to Mentally Retarded and Mentally ill Students.||240|
Important dates for the Pre Matric Scholarship for SC students in Assam
The application portal for the Pre Matric Scholarship for SC students in the Assam scheme is live now, interested candidates can visit the official website of the National Scholarship Portal (NSP) and apply for the Scholarship.
|Scheme closing date||30th September 2022|
|Defective Application Verification closing date||15th October 2022|
|Institute Verification closing date||15th October 2022|
For more education news and updates, click here.