Cotton University Protest: Students to go on a mass bunk, challenging new authorities for irregularities
Cotton University protest to be held for raising various issues regarding development process within the University. It will be an one-hour protest.
Cotton University protest: The students of Cotton University (CU) along with the Student’s political wings are planning to protest over various issues going on within the campus. The students are furious over the continuous irregularities on the campus and also regarding the slow responsiveness of the administration towards various student issues. As per various sources, the protest will take place today in front of the Vice-Chancellor’s office where students will gather and conduct a peaceful demonstration.
As known, students will carry out the protest uplifting more than 10 vital problems. Recently, the office of the Vice Chancellor was succeeded by Professor Ramesh Chandra Deka and students want to ring their issues as soon as possible for achieving positive responses through their dialogue.
Also Read: TET 2014 qualifiers demand immediate appointment; know why
Cotton University protest: Key Points
These are the key points based on which the Cotton University protest will undergo:
- There are no provisions for adequate classrooms for students of various departments. The students not only have to wait outside the classroom for a long period of time but also have to shift their classrooms regularly. Many students were citing the example of the problems faced by the students whose department lay in the Banikanta Kakoti Bhuyan (BKB) building, where the third floor comprised more than three departments. The Environment Biology and Wildlife Sciences, one of the departments on the third floor, has only two rooms. The research scholars along with the students are also facing issues regarding their sitting arrangement and the various lab facilities provided to them.
- Coming to the vacancies, there is a requirement of more than 200 teaching staff and 100s of non-teaching staff respectively, which has not been filled yet. With this limited amount of staff members, the student community is questioning the credibility of the quality education they will receive!
- During the tenure of the previous Vice Chancellor, there were many reports published in the newspapers regarding corruption in the construction works undergoing within the campus. And, there are no insights about it till now!
- The Cotton University protest is not only concerned with overall problems but specific problems of various groups of students. Being one of the prestigious institutes of the state, which repeatedly produces Class 12 rank holders is actually not able to provide a smooth academic curriculum for many. The routine is not followed according to the prescribed timing which has caused significant problems as well for the students.
- The basic facilities have been doomed within the campus. Be it electricity or water, students are deprived of the basic facilities within the hostel premises or during their lab works. Many students have complained about the discrepancy in the instruments due to electricity problems and hampering lab-related research work there.
- The problem related to the delayed declaration of results or issues related to the self-finance courses is not new. Various such protests have been organized earlier as well to raise concerns, however, no significant changes have been seen yet.
- The Cotton University protest will also take up the issue, where the newly inaugurated Swahid Ranjit Borpujari Hostel doesn’t have the facility of a dining hall for the students.
- The research scholars studying in various departments were promised to receive the hostel facilities though no such arrangements have been done for them.
- Even after shifting many important offices such as the Deputy Controller’s office, still, the road outside the main gate faces heavy traffic congestion. And, students want a solution for this issue as well.
- Lastly, the maintenance of sanitation should be the topmost priority as the present scenario does not match the standards of the Lavatory which needs to be present in such a reputed University.
Cotton University is considered to be one of the most prestigious institutes in the country and plays a vital role in the education sector of Assam. But the current scenario depicts a different story, that needs quick actions from all the concerned authorities. And students involved in the Cotton University protest are hoping to get solutions for all these issues as soon as possible.
For more educational news, click here.